October 6, 2008

Picture Assignment

Picture 1: I think that I would run this photo if it was from some big local accident, otherwise it just seems too upsetting a photo if it didn't pertain to the community. Also, because it is a child in the picture, it took me longer to decide if it was okay, but I think that if the accident was big enough and relevant to the community that it just shows pure human grief. Obviously the child was already there and saw the dog, so I don't think him seeing the picture in a newspaper would be that shocking to him, although his parents probably would guard him from it.

Picture 2: This photo is just completely devastating and captures the ultimate agony of losing a loved one, especially a child. I think that I would run this because although it is a photo of a horrible moment in the family's life, it is not gruesome, it is not invasive on a child's privacy, and it would not disgust the normal reader or make them turn away. Instead, it just makes the story and loss of life stronger, although so sad for the family. I would read this story if I saw that picture.

Picture 3: I am not exactly sure what is going on in this picture, but I have a feeling that the family, who could or could have not been present at the trial, would object to this being printed. While objection of a subject is not a main reason why you should or should not run a story or use a photo, it is capturing a moment of suicide, and any children or grandchildren that weren't there or don't fully understand that would definitely be devastated by this photo. This was a hard one to decide, but I feel that a good headline would make the story readable enough without this picture.

Picture 4: This one was kind of hard for me to decide as well. The picture definitely makes me want to read the headline and see what happened, but it doesn't necessarily add anything to story because it is just one of the victims laying there. It is also only one of the victims; perhaps if it were numerous bodies grouped together on the floor it might be more powerful. Also, I just have a hard time deciding on photos that show people who are dead. I don't think I would run this photo unless it was huge news locally. Like I said before, it doesn't add anything extra besides just showing one of the dead victims. The family might not want to see that. Actually, they definitely wouldn't want to see that.

Picture 5: Ouuuchhhhhh. This one was probably the hardest for me to decide because while it is almost pivotal to the story in order to show reader's the oddity, discomfort, pain, and fear of the boy's fall, I can barely look at it. I would think that most readers would have the same initial reaction. It is a great moment caught by a photographer and I am sure that no headline could outdue this picture. But it is definitely something that makes you queasy and I am not sure if I have ever really seen a picture like that in a newspaper. It is so up close to the boy and for people who know him he is completely recognizable. He did live, however, so that makes me want to run it more because the outcome was positive. It shows that the people involved who helped him accomplished an amazing feat as well.

Picture 6: This picture just disgusts me and really shows a person being violated, bascially with law enforcement doing nothing about it. At first glance though I would think that this woman stage dived into a crowd to party at Mardi Gras, topless. I would expect most people would think that, as her face is blurred so you can't see any sort of reaction. I was torn because it definitely is misleading and it also is showing men groping a semi-naked body. But I suppose she was out in the open topless at Mardi Gras so I don't know if there would be grounds to sue if someone ran it in a paper. It would probably help her cause if she was trying to sue someone elsewhere for being sexually harassed. I don't think I would run it if her face was blurred because to me it looks like one giant party where a woman consentually went into a crowd of men topless at Mardi Gras to have some fun.

No comments: