September 23, 2008

Their, They're, There...What the Hell?

I believe I heard once that English is the hardest language to learn. I immediately disregarded that comment as impossible.

Reason number one: I took honors Spanish for four years in high school and have a vocabulary of ten words to show for it. Now I'm not sure if it was apathy or difficulty that attributed to my lack of skill, but I certainly would say the latter.

Reason number two: Have you ever heard anyone speaking Chinese or Polish? Better yet, have you ever seen the words in either of those languages? Enough said.

But let me tell you, sitting in Journ 420, trying to figure out whether who or whom is correct, whether to use I or me or her or she, and whether a word is a direct object, indirect obejct, predicate nominative or predicate adjective has got me all turned around, upside down, and backward. I am a writer. And I am a talker. I have been doing both for quite sometime (and I would like to believe I do them well), but all these grammar lessons have made me think: is English the hardest language to learn? For the newcomers to the English language, the grammar at face value seems quite simple. Let me tell you, face value is just plain wrong. How often can the letter m on the end of a word confuse a person? The who and whom conundrum has tricked me plenty a time.

To all you out there learning my beloved language: don't be fooled.

No comments: