December 3, 2008

Oops...

So my dashboard lied to me and said I had 13 posts. I checked just to make sure. Only 12. So now it seems silly that I am writing a blog after my farewell blog, but let's just say it is an encore.

I guess for the finale I am just going to write about what I have learned in J420. I have learned the basics, again. And thankfully. I never realized how much grammar I had forgotten since 6th grade. I still confuse who and whom and still cannot really explain the subjective or objective case. It is funny how much I used grammar just because it sounded and looked right, without having a real reason why. I also learned that canceled is not spelled CANCELLED. I would say that 99 times out of 100 I would have bet my life it was spelled CANCELLED. Good thing no one bet my my life.

I really enjoyed going over photo editing. I loved going through photos and choosing which ones I would run and wouldn't. The picture assignment was probably my favorite day of lecture.

I feel so much more comfortable and confident editing these days. I feel I can cut a story if I have to and it will still be complete and concise. I feel I can write a good headline, a catchy headline. I know that I will check spellings of names EVERY TIME to make sure they match in the story and the cutline. I really always enjoyed going to lab as well. I actually liked rewriting stories and making headlines and choosing photos. I like picking which stories I would run in my newspaper.

I think I might have to stick myself in the editing world eventually.

2 comments:

Sue Kantor said...

I was actually thinking today about how many of these grammar rules I learned in middle school ... and then immediately forgot after I passed the quiz in English class. I'm really glad I relearned the rules so that hopefully they stick this time around.

Nicole said...

I agree. I think that this is a class every prospective journalist should take. After middle school we don't learn grammar anymore and most of us in class can't give reasons as to why we write correctly, "we just know." I am much more comfortable editing now, I definitely learned much more than I thought I was going to in this class